Since I was a little girl I have always loved to cook. Before I could really follow a recipe on my own, my mother would let me sit on the kitchen counter with a huge bowl and raid her spice cupboard. My "dish" usually ended up being a milky, green concoction with bits of ingredients like cinnamon, bay leaf, oregano, and sugar floating about. Yum! But I'm thankful for those fun "cooking" experiences. It got me in the kitchen and it gave me a love for mixing, pouring, smelling and, in the end, learning to clean up along the way... Thanks, mom!
Since I've been living on my own for the past three years I have had the great opportunity of experimenting (in a more edible way) with my cooking. It's nice when there is no one to impress or family you HAVE to make sure is fed. If something is really terrible I'm the only one who has to taste it. Likewise, if something is absolutely amazing, I get it ALL TO MYSELF! However, I've found that the bit of cooking I love the most is the eventual sharing of the end product. I love food and I love people... it's a good combination.
What is especially enjoyable is when I find a traditional dish that can be morphed into a new eating experience. I find that appetizers and tapas are great for this endeavor. My example today it that of the traditional Caprese Salad. It's a wonderfully tasty, easy dish to have before a meal... when you are at a table. However, often times I am cooking for family and friends no one is sitting at a table during appetizers. Finger foods are the only way to go. So I turned the salad into finger-friendly food.
CAPRESE BELLS
1 Pint Grape or Cherry Tomatoes (Heirloom tomatoes provide an assortment of colors!)
1- 1 1/2 c. medium mozzarella balls
6 large fresh basil leaves.
olive oil
salt & pepper
20+ toothpicks
Cut the tomatoes in half and stand up on its cut surface. Quarter the mozzarella balls. Rip or cut basil leaves with scissors into small pieces. Assemblage: place mozzarella on top of the halved tomato, and the small basil piece on top of the mozzarella. Insert toothpick through all three ingredients. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Arrange on a flat surfaced tray. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or let chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment