Thursday, May 13, 2010

Them there fiddleheads, son!

A friend of mine recently introduced me to the searching for and eating of fiddleheads. I was pumped! After all, it's not everyday that you discover brand spankin' new veggies. Unfortunately, our afternoon hike in search for these curly, green friends was unsuccessful, but our bellies were ready. A recent trip to Block Island brought us victory! Who would have thought a little island grocer would be carrying our happy and strange vegetable?

A little pasta, prosciutto and parmesan were the only ingredients needed to accompany the sauteed fiddleheads. The dish resulted in a very delicious and quiet dinner (except for a few grunts and satisfying eye rolls).

I suggest looking for your fiddleheads at local farmer's markets or organic grocery stores. But beware, after you try them you'll find green beans and asparagus BORING!


2 comments:

  1. My friend told me about eating fiddle heads - I never would have thought it to be true, but now I must try your recipe! Yum! Also, love your tree and tree carved wedding invitations - so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are so freakin beautiful

    ReplyDelete